Region: The island of Cres
Cres is a fortified town, of condensed urban structure, situated at the low point of a sheltered cove on the west side of the island of the same name. Today the area of Cres extends in the shape of the horse-shoe along the north edge of the large Cres harbor.
Cres was first inhabited in prehistoric times, as evidenced by prehistoric ruins. The fortified settlement developed along the coast, below the island ridge where the prehistoric ruins and ancient fortress were situated (Crexa, Crepsa), on the opposite side from the abandoned old Christian and old Croatian settlements in Lovreska Cove on the east side of the island. Numerous coats of arms on the fronts and door-steps of houses speak of the former vocations of inhabitants – farm labourers, blacksmiths, fishermen and others.
The town was built in the Middle Ages, in 1332 a statute was passed, and from 1459, during Venetian rule, it took over from Osor the function of an economic and administrative center of Cres and Losinj archipelago.
The old town centre, surrounded by walls in the shape of a rectangle with five towers and several city portals, was developed before the end of the Venetian rule and, apart from several subsequent constructions, was preserved until today.